Tuesday, November 26, 2019

I Ching, a Tradition, By: Amy Chris Keiper, also known as the writer, L.C. Harrison

I Ching has become a cross cultural philosophical creation, that has been used for centuries to promote connection with higher consciousness. Created during the Zhou (Chou) dynasty in China, I Ching has roots in Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism. I Ching is a type of cleromancy based on numbers in connection with the ancient texts of the Book of Changes/I Ching (Yijing). In the Xia dynasty, I Ching was utilized by Rulers to find guidance by connecting with the Spirits of Nature and Ancestors. Dr. Carl Jung utilized the I Ching in his therapy sessions. Jung felt that the symbolism in the I Ching was supportive in healing with a focus on the conscious and the unconscious, the realm of consciousness (the psyche). I Ching is a meditative tool that supports connection with the higher consciousness for guidance, wisdom, and self-realization.

The practice of counting to build the hexagrams for I Ching to consult the texts with coins, sticks, etc. can be meditative. I Ching is viewed as supportive in making better decisions in helping to reduce doubt, creating focus and clarity by the meditative practice and in forming clear questions, promoting a broader perspective by setting aside emotions during the meditative practice, and reducing stress as the mind relaxes for focus. As a tradition, I Ching is viewed as a way to observe patterns in change, that there is always change, and as a way to understand the inner self in relation to life choices.

I Ching has come to have a tradition, where it is practiced by families at the time of the New Year for guidance in the coming year. Questions are worded in a “Would this be Beneficial” manner. Traditionally each person may ask up to three questions, which may be a daily practice. The same question should not be re-asked within the same week. Although I Ching has been utilized as a tool of communicating with ancestors, I Ching is traditionally viewed as sourced from the higher consciousness (the divine).

Overall, this ancient practice is a way to understanding the self, healing the inner spirit through realization, and adapting the benefits of meditation into your life with added insight. In the promotion of broader self perspectives, open-minded approaches, and clarity for the understanding of change as a constant, I Ching is a healing tool for decision making, awareness, and the inner self.