Thursday, December 27, 2018

Interview with Chris Reinelt, Doula


Interview with Chris Reinelt, Doula by Chelsea Morning
Find out why Chris became a Doula, how she cares for the new mama, and what the universe is trying to tell us.

Women are a combination of pure strength and compassion. We are peaceful warriors; holding life in our core. Among our many talents, we birth new hope, new beginnings, a new addition to beauty and endurance of our kind. We’re the primal earth that ripens the seeds. Chris Reinelt, Doula with Erie Doulas, is the ultimate mother to the mother. With encouraging words of empowerment, she can invoke your inner Gaea. She supports with the gentle touch of hundreds of births in her hands, and will, through it all, be your emotional cheerleader. Like the best of mothers, she wholeheartedly believes in you, she roots for you, and guides you through, as you make your way to becoming Mother!

Why did you become a doula? Was it something you knew you always wanted to be, or did it find you, so to speak?
During my 4th and last pregnancy and birth, I was under the care of Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner Darlene Kerner. It was her care that exposed me to different options that lead to a beautiful, empowering birth and that ultimately put me on the path to becoming a Doula. I wanted other women to experience what I had experienced. I believe and have seen that when given support and knowing your options, you have better outcomes. That your involvement and participation in confident decision-making helps create a positive outcome and you're not just a bystander to the process or routine management.

How would you describe your style, your approach to birth, and your doula philosophy?
When attending a birth, I won’t know if I need to be “hands on” or “holding space” until witnessing where the mother is at in the process and how she can be supported best. Going with her rhythm and meeting her where she needs to be met. I involve her partner to their comfort level, reassure them both, and help them find what works best for them.
After years of practicing solo, I partnered up with another Doula, Michelle Totleben, whom I had trained with in 2000 and used as back up if needed. We are now known as Erie Doulas. https://www.eriedoulas.com/ . Between us, we have attended over 200 births and offer solid coverage at the time of birth. After an initial meeting and reviewing the contract, 1-2 prenatals are scheduled, which can take place at the woman’s home or place of choice. During those visits, topics include; history, health, birth location, early labor support, breastfeeding and generally anything that may be of concern to her/them.

What services are included during an expecting mama’s pregnancy and during labor?
Early support is offered at home until the midwife arrives, and after, as well, or until transitioned to the hospital of choice. We give continued support for several hours after birth or until feeding/breastfeeding is established. Massage, relaxation, positioning, partner support, and guidance, along with photography, if desired, and written documentation are some of the options used. In the event a surgical birth is needed, support is also available to the mom and her partner.

How do you care for the new mama and baby in the days after the birth?
Typically the day following the birth, I will visit the mom at her home or at the hospital. A week later, or sooner if needed, a home visit to go over notes, photos, and discuss anything needed, as well as to ensure that breastfeeding is going well. I will also encourage Mama to rest and reach out to many local resources for support if needed.

What have you learned about life, love, and strength from assisting and witnessing so many births?
I don’t know if I could even begin to relay what I’ve learned about life, love and strength. I continue to be in absolute awe at each and every birth. I’ve realized how amazing it is to be a witness to the sacredness of the whole process and what a privilege it is to be present at the birth of a child, to watch a woman become a mother, and to see a family be born.


10 little questions (because the little things mean so much)

What's your favorite sound? My favorite sound is centered around water; rain, waves, ripples, falls, (just not the sound of a sink dripping at 2 a.m.!) And anyone that knows me well, knows that I love the sound of a sport bike!

What smell do you love? I love the smell of warm, dry autumn leaves.

Would you rather shrink down super small or grow to the size of a giant, taller than the trees? The size of giant! I love to travel and I could cover so much more ground and see further!

Sunrise or sunsets? I love them both! Sunrises are energizing--the breaking of a new day with so many possibilities to explore, and with sunsets, I slow down and reflect. To sum it up: Sunrise= energizes= set goals. Sunset= slows me down= reflect. It’s nature’s way of balancing me.

What’s your favorite weird food combination that sounds gross but tastes really good? No weird food combos now, but growing up I loved my mom’s homemade mac and cheese with ketchup.

Is the hokey pokey what it's really all about? I guess if you looked at the hokey pokey as another way of just saying--get out there and participate in life--put yourself in or out there and do it--then it is what it's really all about.

What's your favorite herb? Rosemary

What essential oil do you love? Bergamot

What’s your favorite gemstone? Peridot--for me, it’s strength and confidence.

What is the universe trying to tell us? They universe is trying to tell us to slow down, pay attention and receive.